"To journey without being changed is to be a nomad.

To change without journeying is to be a chameleon.

To journey and to be transformed by the journey is to be a pilgrim." -Mark Nepo

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cold Weather Markets

Photo taken in February 2012 in Strasbourg, France.
Looking at the photo of this vendor reminds me just how cold that day was.
There is an outdoor market every Wednesday and Friday at the Place Broglie in Strasbourg.  The plaza is fairly wide, very long, and right along the subway line.  The markets happen eleven months out of the year.  During December the regular vendors have to relocate so the Christmas markets can take place. Place Broglie is a happening plaza at least two days a week, regardless of weather.

Most months the area is filled with booths containing flowers, fruit, vegetables, fresh fish, eggs, bread, and many other culinary treats.  But in the coldest months, only the bravest (or most desperate) vendors participate.  During the winter the offerings lean towards non-perishables like sewing notations, hats, boots, scarves, and clothing.

I took the pictures seen here on a very blustery day in February of 2012.  The sellers were dressed like Eskimos.  I hope that they were able to make a few euros to compensate them for their discomfort from the cold.  I was glad that I didn't have to stick around too long before heading home to a warm apartment.

Photo taken in February 2012 in Strasbourg, France.
My mom would have enjoyed seeing the choices of ribbon and thread.

Photo taken in February 2012 in Strasbourg, France.
I realize that the French national colors are red, white, and blue
but it pleased me to see the red, white, and blue striped ribbon.
Then it reminded me of America.  Now it reminds me of both America and France.

Photo taken in February 2012 in Strasbourg, France.
The dress vendors were ready just in case anyone was looking for
a sleeveless dress to wear in June.  I loved the bold colors of the clothes
sold in the open air markets.  They were completely different than ones
sold in stores.

Photo taken in February 2012 in Strasbourg, France.
With such cold weather and low prices,
I am sure that several of these warm hats were sold that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment