"To journey without being changed is to be a nomad.

To change without journeying is to be a chameleon.

To journey and to be transformed by the journey is to be a pilgrim." -Mark Nepo

Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

Fondant ghosts

Halloween is not very popular in Strasbourg.  I have seen more decorations, candy, and holiday related items this October than I have in the past two years.  These sightings are still scarce though.  Here are photos of most of the glimpses of Halloween that I have had in 2011.  Americans, enjoy your day dedicated to costumes and the collection of sweet treats.  Have some candy corn for me!

Halloween balloons

A display of costumes.  I thought the armor headgear was historically appropriate for Europe.

I was amazed to see a grocery store display of pumpkins specifically for carving.  In France, pumpkins tend to be eaten instead of used for decoration.

Window display at a candy store

Placard of specials offered at a restaurant

Pumpkins decorating the steps of a bakery

Fake cobwebs and a ghost adorn the entrance to this building.

A witch hat sits in the window of a restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing those. They're so much more tasteful then the random decorations we saw in Cairo. They don't celebrate there either, but they had the strangest displays... I wish I could find my photos of them!!! It looks like you had at least a little taste of the All Hallows Eve!!!

    ReplyDelete